Tuesday, September 02, 2014
Sunday, August 31, 2014
Your Choice Barnet support workers will be taking industrial action 8th and 9th September with more dates to follow, after having a 9.5% pay cut imposed on them by their employer. Like anyone else in Local Government these workers have had pay freeze after pay freeze up to this pay cut!
Your Choice Barnet is a Local Authority Trading Company set up by Barnet Council February 2012. Barnet UNISON always believed the business case was flawed and sadly we have been proven right as YCB has had to borrow £1 million (around 20% of its budget) from Barnet Homes to be repaid at commercial interest rates over the next 3 years. Our members have already had cuts to their terms and conditions as all shift allowances have been cut and the numbers of Support Workers have been decreased whilst the numbers of Assistant Support Workers have been increased.
If your organisation is thinking of outsourcing some of your services you may want to have a read of this Your Choice Barnet (YCB) "The real deal" http://www.barnetunison.me.uk/?q=node/1394
The Your Choice Barnet Care worker cause is very similar to the Doncaster Care UK workers and we believe it is incredibly brave and principled of all of these workers to take this action. Their action throws a spotlight on the travesties of low pay in the care sector and the low quality of care which accompanies this low pay.
We are asking you to get behind this dispute by
1. Sending in your messages of support to email@example.com
2. Collecting money for the strikers
3. Donating money – cheques payable to: Barnet UNISON Industrial Action Fund
4. Inviting our strikers to speak at meetings/ rallies/ events ( to arrange email firstname.lastname@example.org)
5. Joining our strikers on the picket line (for details email email@example.com
6. Please signing our petition https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/stop-the-ongoing-destruction-of-services-for-adults-with-disabilities-in-barnet and as your colleagues and other to do the same.
0208 359 2088