Now -read the book!

Here is a link to my memoirs which, if you are a glutton for punishment, you can purchase online at https://www.kobo.com/gb/en/ebook/an-obscure-footnote-in-trade-union-history.
Men fight and lose the battle, and the thing that they fought for comes about in spite of their defeat, and when it comes turns out not to be what they meant, and other men have to fight for what they meant under another name. (William Morris - A Dream of John Ball)

Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Another election is coming in our movement - but how shall we vote in it?


-->
Earlier today I helped an older Labour Party member cast their vote online in the election for Labour Leader. I was struck once more (as I had been when I voted) that the elections for Leader and Labour Leader use a preferential voting system (whereas the election for NEC members uses simple majority voting – or “first past the post”).

That got me thinking about the forthcoming election for UNISON General Secretary which (if it follows previous form) will be conducted by simple majority vote, because no one in the country’s largest trade union will consider any other method of voting, although they could.

This blog used to refer more frequently than it has recently to the UNISON Rule Book. Schedule C.7 was always of interest to me. It gives the UNISON National Executive Council (NEC) discretion to determine the method of voting in internal union elections (including the election for General Secretary). In fourteen eventful years as a member of that NEC I am afraid that I never found any enthusiasm for the exercise of that discretion.

Five and a half years ago, I set out at (probably unnecessary) length the benefits (in my opinion) of using the Single Transferable Vote (STV) rather than simple majority voting in anticipation of the (then forthcoming) General Secretary election. Seven years and three months earlier, I had reported on discussions at the UNISON National Executive Council about proposals from the Lambeth branch to use the Single Transferable Vote (STV) in national UNISON elections. Eight and a half years later, I was still banging on about this question.

A preferential voting system , in an election for a single position (such as Leader of the Labour Party or General Secretary of UNISON) means that a candidate can only win if they secure the support (even if on subsequent preferences) of a majority of those voting, whereas with simple majority voting a candidate wins if they have a plurality (more votes than any other candidate but not a majority).  

UNISON’s NEC could adopt a preferential voting system for the next General Secretary election within UNISON’s current rules – and give UNISON members the benefit of the same method of voting that the Labour Party is using in our Leadership election. This would also give the benefit that candidates could seek nomination knowing that their candidacy would not deny their supporters the opportunity to express other preferences.

I am sorry to have to predict that the UNISON NEC will lack the imagination, the will, the independence of spirit and the radicalism to take this step.

I wish I could be proved wrong!

No comments: