Now -read the book!

Here is a link to my memoirs which, if you are a glutton for punishment, you can purchase online at https://www.kobo.com/gb/en/ebook/an-obscure-footnote-in-trade-union-history.
Men fight and lose the battle, and the thing that they fought for comes about in spite of their defeat, and when it comes turns out not to be what they meant, and other men have to fight for what they meant under another name. (William Morris - A Dream of John Ball)

Tuesday, October 07, 2014

UNISON General Secretary Election

Ahead of tomorrow's meeting of UNISON's National Executive Council (NEC) I asked about arrangements for the forthcoming General Secretary election.

I was advised that this matter is "with the Development and Organisation Committee".

As a member of that Committee I have asked further questions.

Obviously a trade union which wished to maximise member participation would announce the timetable for such an election in good time, and would agree procedures which would encourage members to put themselves forward.

Although I don't care what they do - they won't persuade me to stand again!

No matter how many senior officials at Congress House try to persuade me.

No comments: