Now -read the book!

Here is a link to my memoirs which, if you are a glutton for punishment, you can purchase online at https://www.kobo.com/gb/en/ebook/an-obscure-footnote-in-trade-union-history.
Men fight and lose the battle, and the thing that they fought for comes about in spite of their defeat, and when it comes turns out not to be what they meant, and other men have to fight for what they meant under another name. (William Morris - A Dream of John Ball)

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Support the Teachers on 24 April

Good news received this evening from my friend and comrade Alex Kenny of the NUT Executive...

The NUT has decided today to call members out for a one day strike on 24th April.This follows a ballot result of 75% in favour on a 32% turnout.The decision of the NUT Executive was unanimous and everyone was very positive about the ballot result.Regional rallies and demonstrations are being planned. Support for these will be welcome from other unions.

UNISON activists need to discuss how we can help the NUT to maximise the impact of their action in the opening battle of this year's pay round - and an appropriate riposte to those in the movement who were saying that the teachers were not part of a pay fight this year.

Both the turnout and the "yes" vote are positive and impressive, and compare favourably with results which have produced effective action in the past.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will anyone notice if the teachers go on strike?
I was doing O levels during their last campaign of action in '86 - all our "fifth year" homework went unmarked (but they still made us do it!), they had strike days too -and there was no difference in my marks ie I passed the lot.
I think you'd notice if a UNISON member went on strike (I may be being a bit parochial there, but I do think the public would notice pretty quickly). But action by the NUT? I'm not so sure....

Anonymous said...

I think its just that I never moved on from my dislike of teachers! Elephants have long memories.......
;-)

Anonymous said...

from a recent parent mail email...

"This email is to confirm that Swavesey Village College will remain OPEN on the day of strike action by the National Union of Teachers to be held on 24th April."

So, it appears that the IA is not going to have the impact some expected.

Good luck, I hope you are able to get your SVC members to participate.