Now -read the book!

Here is a link to my memoirs which, if you are a glutton for punishment, you can purchase online at https://www.kobo.com/gb/en/ebook/an-obscure-footnote-in-trade-union-history.
Men fight and lose the battle, and the thing that they fought for comes about in spite of their defeat, and when it comes turns out not to be what they meant, and other men have to fight for what they meant under another name. (William Morris - A Dream of John Ball)

Wednesday, June 04, 2014

This is not my country

‎Regular readers of this blog (Sid and Doris Blogger) will know that I am a commuter.

I'm on a train from London to Brighton (as I so often am).

In years of commuting (including all manner of disruption) I think I have never been as angry.

At Victoria Station this evening, British Transport Police were herding an (exclusively black) group against a wall.

When challenged they could provide no justification for their conduct.

It was plain that the Transport Police (for whom we pay to police the transport network) were acting as agents of the Border Agency.

It is intolerable that our fellow citizens should be treated in this way.

It is intolerable that our fellow human beings should be treated in this way.

I do not recognise (or claim any affinity with) a country in which we accept this.

I withdraw my consent to be governed in such an outrageously discriminatory way.

It is the duty of trade unionists to oppose such discrimination.

Let's oppose this wholeheartedly.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the EE network.

No comments: