Now -read the book!

Here is a link to my memoirs which, if you are a glutton for punishment, you can purchase online at https://www.kobo.com/gb/en/ebook/an-obscure-footnote-in-trade-union-history.
Men fight and lose the battle, and the thing that they fought for comes about in spite of their defeat, and when it comes turns out not to be what they meant, and other men have to fight for what they meant under another name. (William Morris - A Dream of John Ball)

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Digital activity at the UNISON Centre



I will blog further in due course about today’s meeting of the Development and Organisation (D&O) Committee of the UNISON National Executive Council (NEC) but will mention now briefly the excellent presentation which the Committee received upon UNISON’s development of our digital/online presence.

I particularly commend the advice from the Union on how to ensure more members read your bulk emails. Apparently you have about three seconds to capture the attention of a reader online if you want to communicate anything effectively.

I shall not follow that advice on this blog however, since I am not writing this for you but primarily for my own amusement (which is the most important objective for anyone with the slightest modicum of self-regard). If you don’t want to read what I have to say then you have an entire internet to amuse yourself with.

Today’s Committee meeting contributed significantly to my amusement for the number of occasions on which colleagues made jokes about the dangers of “unofficial blogs” or social media generally. It wasn’t until I lunched (not wisely but too well) with a couple of comrades that it was pointed out to me that these comments may have been intended to have been directed at my good self.

Given that the third of three disciplinary investigations which UNISON has initiated against me concerns my failure to keep confidential the previous two disciplinary investigations (so please don’t mention this to anyone) I was tickled that colleagues felt no need to observe any such injunction themselves.

Which is fine by me, since the risible allegations which have led to the unnecessary investigations into your humble blogger are indeed a source of amusement. For those who may fear that I am under attack by the “UNISON bureaucracy” (and/or their lay hangers-on) I can assure you that I am fully prepared to be savaged by a dead sheep.


I shall leave it to any intelligent readers to work out for themselves the motivation for attacks upon a trade unionist compelled to complain to the Certification Officer (and to contemplate the risks).

1 comment:

Hassina said...

Hahaha!